I know this because I once had dogs. But among the canine companions I had in the past, there was one dog that I was really attached to. His name was ‘Champagne.’ Although also we had two other animals in our house back then (when I was still in college), a monkey and a cat, it was Champagne that I really gave more attention to. Perhaps it was because he was the warmest and the most endearing of them all. He would even readily jump onto my late mom’s lap whenever she would lie down on the sofa after coming home from work.
He was a well-behaved dog. I don’t remember any single time he bothered anyone or even his fellow pets. Everyone in the family loved him.
Just imagine how we all felt when one day, he wouldn’t eat his food and just kept on throwing up. I immediately brought him to a nearby vet. It broke my heart when the vet told me that my dog had been poisoned and that there was nothing he could do to save him.
The following morning, I found his lifeless body under the house we were renting (there was a space between the ground and the floor), lying directly underneath my bed.
I think my tears never stopped flowing that day.